Today I am going to breakdown the Golden State Warrior’s Motion Offense. The Warriors motion sets up in a 4 out, 1 in look (4 guys around the perimeter 1 guy down low). What differentiates this from the other offenses with the same setup is, because the Warriors have Steph Curry, their offense focuses a lot more on getting the initial ball handler open looks. While also having the ability to put the ball in your Power Forward or Centers hands (Draymond Green’s role) and still be able to get your guards good looks at the hoop due to off the ball movement.
TO SET UP THE OFFENSE
You can start the offense from either wing spot or at the top of the 3 point line. The structure will have a big on the low block, a guy parked in the corner opposite of him, 2 guys on the wings and a guy at the top of the 3 point line.
STARTING THE OFFENSE ON THE WING W/THE BIG MAN DOWN LOW ON THE SAME SIDE
You’re Given 3 Options
- Pass it down low to the big man and take advantage of the space you have or toss it back to the initial ball handler who received an off-ball screen from the other big man.
- Pass to the big at the 3pt line then right back to the initial ball handler, which makes both big men set a screen for you to go either baseline or towards the middle of the court.
- You can reverse the ball to the other wing and depending on how close the defender was to the initial ball handler he will either cut to the basket and if he’s not open pass back to the big at the 3pt line then back to him and he will receive a screen towards the middle. Or instead of cutting to the hoop, the big will set a screen for him to the top of the 3 pt line.
STARTING THE OFFENSE ON THE WING W/THE BIG MAN DOWN LOW ON THE OTHER SIDE
Reverse the ball to the strong side of the offense and 2 different sequences can occur
- The guy on the opposite wing will cut to the basket and the big at the top of the 3pt line will set a screen for the guy in the corner.
- The big will set a screen for the guy on the wing, but if his defender stays close you wait a seconds and then both of them will set a screen for the guy in the corner.
Now depending on whom you have the ball with at the top of the 3pt line will trigger 2 different actions.
STARTING THE OFFENSE AT THE TOP OF THE KEY W/POINT GUARD, SHOOTING GUARD OR SMALL FORWARD
You will receive a pick and roll/pop involving the big man closest to you.
STARTING THE OFFENSE AT THE TOP OF THE KEY W/POWER FORWARD OR CENTER
Look to the 2 players opposite the big man down low. One will screen for the other cutting to the hoop and once that’s done, he’ll pop out all the way to the 3pt line often leaving his defender still chasing the cutter.
If your Point Guard or whoever you bring the ball up with is a great shooter this offense will get you plenty of great looks and if your Power Forward or Center can at least knock down a 3 if he’s wide open you’re all set.
Check Sports Gamers Online daily and subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more NBA 2K16 tips and news from your favorite sports games!