While we have yet to get our hands on WWE 2K19, 2K has released their first blog post detailing new features and improvements coming this year. This is an exciting surprise if you’re looking for validation to buy the game as a wealth of decent features have been added.
SGO First Impressions: WWE 2K19 Features
2K released a more robust blog compared to the previous one this time. You can find that blog detailing MyCAREER and its trailer here. 2K opens with detailing new improvements to the general gameplay and experience. Check out the highlights below:
- Eight competitors will now be able be in the ring at once
- Improved framerate for matches with six or more characters on screen
- The animations are faster and look more impactful
- Strikes have been overhauled with over 250 new attack and reaction animations
- Additionally, the new strike reaction system triggers varied and contextually appropriate response animations
- AI players utilize a wider variety of offense
- Commentary has over 15,000 new lines from Michael Cole, Corey Graves, and Byron Saxton
- In addition, all entrance commentary is brand new and features more specific and natural references to the WWE Superstars
- New match scoring conditions allow more creativity to earn a five-star match
- This also includes a more detailed match score screen
- Furthermore, players can now change controller assignment in the middle of a match in Universe and Exhibition
These features alone would have made WWE 2K18 a much more enjoyable experience. I understand that development takes time. However, these are a few things that would have been nice to see in 2K’s first WWE game release on current generation consoles, not it’s fourth. It would have made it a clear standout against its THQ predecessors. Nonetheless, they are in WWE 2K19 and that’s a huge plus for anyone left on the fence about committing to a purchase.
New Match Types
One of the most exciting news, in my opinion. are the added match varieties. All over YouTube, you can find many enhancements to match features and options. 2K has outlined a few themselves for everyone to see:
- Extreme Rules
- Hell in a Cell
- Battle Royal
- Triple Threat Tornado Tag
- Ladder Tag
- Ladder Triple Tag
- Hell in a Cell Tag
- Hell in a Cell Triple Tag
- TLC Tag
- TLC Triple Tag
- 4-Way Tornado Tag
- Ladder Tag
- Ladder 4-Way Tag
- Women’s Royal Rumble
There are some exciting additions and returns. We’ve finally gotten the triple threat tag team match not seen since Smackdown vs Raw 2007. This also means universe mode will hopefully have the accurate 8-man Money in the Bank match.
Hell in the Cell and Cage Matches
2K makes a point to layout the changes to cage and cell based matches. The biggest for Cell match is the cell is not scaled to a more realistic proportion. This means players can wrestle outside the cell along all four sides. You can also fight mid climb much like Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins showcased during their rivalry. Breaking the cell walls have taken a more tradition approach by no longer requiring OMG moves to break the walls.
Cage matches also received improvements. Several new mini-games have been implemented in order to add more interactions and realism to cage matches. You can escape through the door, fight at the top and even take flight mid climb.
Several other match types like Money in the Bank and general improvements can be found by visiting the full post. I highly suggest taking a look. WWE 2K19 is shaping up to be a sleeper if nothing else. The full list of features show promising potential. This year, it looks like 2K took the time clean up a few glaring issues with game. Hopefully this will be widespread throughout the entire experience.
Have some thoughts on WWE 2K19? Let us know in the comments below.
Want to talk sports and/or games with the fastest growing community in gaming? Join the conversation by registering at the official Sports Gamers Online Forums, and check out our Twitter and Facebook pages as well as our growing YouTube Channel!