Since the disastrous launch in 2020, 2K Sports has steadily improved WWE 2K‘s gameplay and built a new identity for the franchise. WWE 2K23 is no different. Not only did we get a look at the game’s cover star, John Cena, but we also got some information on what’s coming to this year’s wrestling game.
John Cena, WWE 2K23 Cover Star
John Cena is one of the most popular, influential, and dominant WWE superstars of the last decade. So, it’s only fitting that 2K celebrates his illustrious career by making Cena this year’s cover star.
“2K has done a fantastic job capturing and invigorating the WWE 2K franchise through this concept, and I am honored to grace the cover of WWE 2K23.” – John Cena.
This year, WWE 2K23‘s 2K Showcase mode will have players step into the shoes of Cena’s most formidable competitors to take down the champ. This mode will feature 2K’s Slingshot Tech to seamlessly transition from gameplay to live-action footage of pivotal moments in Cena’s career.
What’s new in this year’s game?
WarGames is the newest match type in the WWE 2K series. Players can enjoy the dual cage madness up to 8 players; however, this match won’t be available in MyGM mode.
More Key Features
- MyGM: Now featuring more GMs to choose from – or a player’s own custom GM creation – as well as additional show options, multiple seasons, expanded match cards, and more match types for up to four players. Players draft a roster, manage budgets, sign free agents, choose various match types, arena locations, production elements and more, with the goal of beating a rival GM in weekly ratings battles;
- MyFACTION: Now featuring online multiplayer action, the team-building mode in which players collect, manage, and upgrade an array of WWE Superstars and Legends to create their ultimate four-person factions returns. Players can now take their faction online and compete for global dominance, or compete in Weekly Towers and Faction Wars, while new themed card packs and goals roll out regularly throughout the year**;
- MyRISE: Aspiring Superstars walk through the curtain for their WWE debut in MyRISE and shape their career with the decisions made along the way. Featuring distinct men’s and women’s division storylines and the ability to import custom created Superstars, players journey from the humble beginnings of a Rookie, to being immortalized as a WWE Legend;
- Universe: The ultimate WWE Universe sandbox that puts players in charge of their own version of WWE, from Superstar rosters, feuds, champions, weekly shows, and Premium Live Events! Updates to Universe include a reworked story system and more;
- Creation Suite: A signature feature of the WWE 2K franchise, the creation suite returns with cross-platform community creations, including the ability to design custom Superstars, GMs, arenas, entrances, move sets, championships and more. Custom arenas are now playable online, and advanced customization has been added to created entrances.
Want to talk sports and/or games with the fastest-growing community in gaming? Join the conversation by joining us on Discord, and check out our Twitter and Facebook pages as well as our growing YouTube Channel!