MLB The Show 23 has been out for almost two weeks now. Overall, fan reception seems relatively positive so far. Players have enjoyed the gameplay changes as well as new features to Franchise and Diamond Dynasty. There have, however, been a few issues with the title. SDS will address these issues Friday with a Title Update.
This seems to be an update focused on fixing some bugs from the release. Some of these include the scoreboard at Citi Field being much too large, two-way players being both pitchers and position players simultaneously, and pitches “jumping” far from their intended location. There are also some UI updates, such as removing the blur when setting prices in the marketplace and improving speeds in Conquest.
No gameplay changes were made in this update. This includes Pinpoint pitching. Many fans have expressed frustration with the current state of the pitching method. Players have reported seeing pitches drift far outside the perfect pitch region when making perfect pitches. Hopefully, this can be addressed in future updates.
The full patch notes for this update are below:
- Two-way players can no longer exist as both Pitcher and Position players on the field at the same time.
- Fixed an issue where the Rally Monkey Quirk was displaying the incorrect quirk icon.
- Fixed an issue that caused CPU controlled teams to wear the team’s default Home or Road uniform instead of the uniform chosen by the user while selecting teams.
- Removed UI blur from the Community Market when placing Buy/Sell Orders.
- Improved UI speed for Conquest mode in Diamond Dynasty.
- The appropriate team colors and logos are now properly displayed in WBC moments.
- Fixed a bug that would show incorrect team logos and game summaries in Mini Seasons.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing users from equipping custom uniforms.
- Umpires now show the proper animations when reacting to appeals on a check swing.
- Fixed an issue where pitches would “jump” and land far from their intended location.
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to exit the bullpen quick menu.
- Fixed an issue where quick shift artwork could remain on screen.
- Fixed an issue where bullpen displays could remain on screen after returning to the game.
- Removed the option to use created stadiums to prevent cross-gen matchmaking issues.
- General gameplay stability improvements.
- Fixed an issue where fielders would be in different defensive shift positions based on user settings.
- Fixed an issue where the “can’t pitch” icon could remain on screen.
- Stability fixes added in the pitcher selection screen.
- Improved stability and resolved various bugs that could cause freezes during gameplay.
- Added wall sorting and height options.
- Fixed an issue which was allowing users to exceed the maximum prop limit.
- Fixed an issue that allowed some props to enter the field of play.
- Fixed an issue with illuminated props during night mode.
- Light towers can no longer interfere with the batter’s eye.
- Improved lighting for night games.
- Various stability fixes.
- Various prop fixes.
ROAD TO THE SHOW
- Removed an inaccurate description when exiting a tutorial.
- Updated areas where pitching ratings were displayed incorrectly in the Ballplayer HUB.
- “Clutch” is now displayed as “P Clutch” for pitchers.
- Fixed an issue where users were not being rewarded properly for getting walked with bases loaded.
- Equipped Bat Tape Style now displays correctly when entering a game.
- Fixed an issue where users were unable to advance back to the MLB after being sent down to Triple-A.
- All Star socks will now display correctly.
MARCH TO OCTOBER AND FRANCHISE
- Hall of Fame inductees will now show their correct positions in the Team Achievements screen.
- Hall of Fame inductees that were free agents at the time of their retirement will now be displayed under the team they played for most recently in the Team Achievements screen.
- Fixed a soft lock that occurred after simulating into future years in Franchise.
- Two-way players will now stay in the game as a DH when taken out as a pitcher during the All-Star Game.
- Fixed an issue where some prospects had inflated contracts.
- Modern crowds are now shown when selecting an NLB stadium after relocating a team.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when entering a team’s depth chart.
- Custom team logos will now be displayed properly during the Amateur Draft.
- Users now have the ability to manually fix AA playoff rosters after the MLB regular season has ended.
- Fixed an issue where pinch hitters were being forced to stay in the game as pitchers when the DH rule was turned off.
- General stability improvements.
- Fixed an issue where stubs were not properly updating after completing Storylines moments.
- Various quality of life improvements.
HOME RUN DERBY
- Opponent home runs will now tally correctly.
- Fixed an issue that would display incorrect team matchups when scrolling through the calendar.
- Fixed a typo in Dynamic Challenges.
- Fixed a visual bug where strikes were being called as balls in Options Explorer.
- Improved crowd lighting in replays.
- Graphical improvements to skin textures for created players.
- Updated over 500 player portrait images with new 2023 photos. These images can be seen throughout the game in various areas.
- Updated various typos throughout the game.
- The size of the scoreboard at Citi Field has been reduced.
- Added a new AR scoreboard presentation.
- Various presentation bug fixes and polish.
- There are no gameplay balance changes at this time.