EA Sports is adding a bit of a twist to its typical Madden Championship Series. On Friday, EA kicks off its inaugural The Yard Invitational.
Eight teams of two will battle it out in Madden NFL 21‘s six-on-six backyard football. Each squad will design its own jerseys and avatars before competing on a Pizza Hut virtual football field, exclusively created for the invitational.
March 5th & 6th | 6PM ET
16 Pro Players | 4 Captains
1 Champion 🏆 pic.twitter.com/ElT96tgogV
— Madden NFL 23 (@EAMaddenNFL) March 4, 2021
The final four duos standing towards the end of the round-robin tournament will each team up with one of the four streamers/influencers serving as team captains on Saturday. These captains are Dockery, Kristopher London, Erin Ashley Simon, and YoBoyPizza. Afterwards, the four teams will participate in a three-versus-three, best-of-five series to determine who will capture the first ever ‘The Yard’ Invitational crown on March 6.
‘The Yard’ Invitational teams
- 818: Shay “Kiv” Kivlen and Wesley Gittens
- BND: Henry Leverette and Pavan Lakhat
- DRI/JCP: Drini Gjoka and Joel “JoelCP” Crooms-Porter
- ELI: Dwayne “CleffTheGod” and Jordan “Millz” Thompson
- EMB: Frank “Stiff” Sardoni Jr. and Tony “Young Tony” Calloway
- Tew Dewds: Eric “Problem” Wright and Kyle “KMaC” McAllister
- TNC: Jacob “Fancy” Worthington and Jacob “Jwall” Wallack
- YGNJ: Jonathan “Jonbeast” Marquez and Noah “Noahupnxt” Johnson
EA Sports is sort of betting on an esports event featuring its new arcade-style mode will keep its fans more engaged.
“The Madden NFL ‘The Yard’ Invitational is unlike anything we’ve ever done before,” said Madden NFL Competitive Gaming Commissioner, Matt Marcou, in a release. He continued, “It’s a glimpse into how we might experiment with this format for future Madden competitions.”
The new tournament will be broadcast on Madden’s YouTube and Twitch channels starting March 5 at 6 p.m. ET.
Want to talk sports and/or games with the fastest growing community in gaming? Join the conversation by registering at the official Sports Gamers Online Forums, and check out our Twitter and Facebook pages as well as our growing YouTube Channel!