EA Sports has just released its latest Title Update for Madden NFL 22. Per the EA Sports quality design team, the update addresses the ongoing concerns for Cover 3 zone defenses. EA’s update applies to PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and Stadia players, and went live today at 8 AM PT, September 23.
Madden 22 Title Update Details
- Addressed an issue with class progression when the player lock is on in Face of the Franchise.
- Resolved an issue with flipped play art when base aligning and choosing a new play.
- Tuning to Outside Cover 3 Deep Zones giving up too much space vs Corner routes with no other vertical receiving threat in their area.
- Changes to Cover 3 Deep Zones vs Bunch Flood concepts.
- Tuning to Outside Cover 3 Deep Zones to better anticipate threats coming from across the field with no other threats to their zone.
Additionally, EA intends to continue tuning gameplay in a future Madden NFL 22 title update. The next patch will focus on zones and flat zone coverage assignments. EA Sports did not provide an expected release date for these changes.
Madden NFL 22 is currently the fourth best-selling game of the year and topped sales for all games in August. This year’s game featured a number of changes to the gameplay and franchise mode, especially on next-gen consoles. It received an official review score of 5.5 out of 10 from Sports Gamers Online Managing Editor Mike Straw, citing defensive issues at launch.
SGO Review: “The Gameplay Is Holding It Back”
“Despite Madden in recent years not being thought of very highly, a new console generation rose expectations even higher for the latest release of the franchise. And with Madden 22, it makes enough improvements to the presentation and the continued addition of Next Gen Stats to keep the game fresh for longer. And an improved franchise mode will keep a bunch of gamers happy that have felt neglected for so long.
Now if the glaring issues with coverage are fixed quickly, this is a fine 2nd installment for Madden 22 and an improvement over last year’s game. But, as it stands currently, the gameplay is holding it back from being the game the turns things around for the series.”
Did the gameplay update improve zone coverage for Madden NFL 22? Join the conversation with other fans in the Sports Gamers Online Discord, and check out our Twitter and Facebook pages as well as our growing YouTube Channel! If you like our content, consider supporting the site by becoming an SGO Insider.