We’re almost halfway into June, and the May 2016 NPD sales results are here. Surprisingly, Uncharted 4 takes the top spot for software sales, with Doom and Overwatch trailing behind. What’s interesting about these results is that Uncharted 4 is exclusive to the PS4, while Doom and Overwatch not only make an appearance on Xbox One, but PC as well.
Most games from the April results have fallen from the top 10, with Dark Souls III seeing the steepest drop (previously #1), but you’ll still find the usual suspects. Grand Theft Auto V, Minecraft, NBA 2K16, and MLB The Show 16 continue to stay strong. Likewise, game sales are up 4% from this time last year.
Hardware sales are only seeing a 10% drop this month compared to last year, but like usual, console manufacturers refuse to share their numbers. It’s safe to say that PlayStation is still on top, especially given the success of the latest addition to the Uncharted franchise.
In the handhelds department, the 3DS continues to do extremely well thanks to a 2DS price cut. That console has seen a year over year improvement of 148%, or 38% month over month. Not bad!
And now, here are the software rankings:
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4) – It’s either the best or second best selling Uncharted game. I think the text is implying second best after Uncharted 3, but I can’t tell 100%. Either way it’s a relatively large number.
- Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
- Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
What games did you pick up in May? Let us know in the comments!